Taking celexa 40 mg for 12 years. Depression and anxiety seemed to come back. My np wants me to try adding abilify (aripiprazole). I am hesitant, is it a good combo?

Dr. Judith Tellerman
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Depression

If you are not comfortable or unsure about the medication your Doctor prescribed then it is advisable to get a second opinion from a Psychiatrist after you have had a complete physical exam by your Primary Care Physician to rule out any underlying illness.
A Clinical Psychologist can also help you with psychotherapy.

In brief: Depression

Dr. Judith Tellerman
Dr. Judith Tellerman
Dr. Robin Merlino

In brief: Depression ; anxiety

I would only use Abilify (aripiprazole) as a last resort.
There are many other drugs to try before adding this drug. Although Abilify (aripiprazole) is a good adjunct to mood stabilizing meds it has a host of side effects that would make me not use it until i had exhausted more typical meds for depression and anxiety. Might be worth talking with a physician rather than a np at this time i n your course of treatment.

In brief: Depression ; anxiety

Dr. Robin Merlino
Dr. Robin Merlino