Hi, my 4 yrs old son, he got itchy n red skin arround the neck.. Is this eczema n what is the difference bitween eczema ointment, cream n lotion ? Thx

Dr. Mark Patterson

In brief: Should see doctor

There are many different causes for red itchy rashes in children.
Eczema is a possibility, but it usually appears in the folds of the arms and legs. I would suggest that he be seen by his pediatrician. Ointments are greasy feeling and tend to stay on the surface of the skin, while creams and lotions are more water-based and rub into the skin without leaving a residue.

In brief: Should see doctor

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: M.D. visit

Eczema may be associated with allergies.
It can involve various areas, including the elbows and knees. Eczema is treated with moisturizers and topical steroids. Lotion is easier to apply to a larger affected area and is less dense than ointment or cream. Limiting bath time to 15 minutes with luke warm water/apply moisturizer afterwards. Other causes incl insect bite or contact dermatitis.

In brief: M.D. visit