I had a colon resection for colon cancer and now have a ostomy. I'm having problems and a barium enema shows filing of the cecum. What would cause thi?

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Surgery

In brief: I"m confused

If you have a colostomy, and barium is injected into it, the cecum (the first part of the colon in the rlq) should fill.
Now, if the barium is injected into your rectal stump and the barium fills, then there's a tract (fistula) between the rectal stump and the cecum, which is not normal. This should be discussed with the operating surgeon. Good luck.

In brief: I"m confused

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Paxton Daniel
Radiology

In brief: If the

Exam was performed through your colostomy, and you have a cecum, barium filling of the cecum is a normal finding.

In brief: If the

Dr. Paxton Daniel
Dr. Paxton Daniel
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery