What types of stretches/exercises are good for relieving sciatica caused by a mild lower back muscle strain?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Core Exercises

Typically core strengthening exercises are the best to help relieve pressure and forces in the spine.
I would try and google some or look them up on youtube to see descriptions. If you can do them yourself, wonderful otherwise ask your doctor to get a referral to a good physical therapist for further assistance.

In brief: Core Exercises

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Jay Shapiro
Pain Management

In brief: Easy stretch

This could be the sciatic nerve being compressed by the piriformis muscle.
Place the ankle on the side where pain is [let's say the right] atop the opposite [left] knee. Sit upright and pull the [right] knee up until you feel a stretch in the [right] buttock. Hold the stretch for 10 or 15 seconds. Rest for 30 seconds, and repeat 3 times. Do this 3 times a day. See doc if no relief in 3 days.

In brief: Easy stretch

Dr. Jay Shapiro
Dr. Jay Shapiro
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine