Choke on saliva only during sleep. I have chronic sinusitis and post nasal drip. I don't have breath or swallow problems and no known health issues.

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Ophthalmology

In brief: No. 1 issue- mouth

Breather! anyone who has chronic sinusitis have a big issue in that they normally can't breeze through their nose easily, so they compensate by breathing through their mouth.
So that is a health condition worth noting. If you're choking on your saliva, and have postnasal drip issues at night, you need to make sure during the day that you're well hydrated, and also must change your diet to reduce the amount of phlegm producing food products consumed: cheese, processed foods, milk products.

In brief: No. 1 issue- mouth

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine