How can I treat my allergies?

Nasal sprays not OTC. For seasonal allergies, the most effective options are the steroid or antihistamine nasal sprays, available by prescription. Not only do they work the best, but they are technically local therapy as negligible amounts enter the bloodstream. The OTC nasal sprays can cause rebound symptoms, which the prescription versions do not.
Over the counter. Avoidance is important, but common spring/fall allergies it's reasonable to try medications available at your pharmacy and reserve major testing and weekly treatments for patients who don't respond to these simple measures. Fexofenadine (allegra), loratidine (claritin), and cetrizine (zyrtec) are good choices. Nasal saline spray can help. Avoid decongestants (neo-synephrine and afrin).
Avoidance & Meds. The most common nasal allergies are best treated by avoiding the trigger, and using prescription antihistamine or steroid nasal spray when needed. Over the counter allergy pills (allegra, zyrtec) can be helpful too. Avoid afrin (metolazone) decongestant spray (stops working and causes rebound after 2 days). Ongoing bothersome allergies can be treated with a long series of desensitization shots.
Avoidance/Medication. When targeting allergies, it is important to know what allergens are causing your symptoms. One of the first steps is to get tested. Treatment is based on two principles: 1. Avoidance - if you are allergic to molds, dust mites, etc then thorough cleaning, pillow/mattress covers, vacuuming regularly, changing air filters, etc 2. Medication - nasal saline, antihistamines or prescribed nasal steroids.
OTC antihistamines. Otc antihistamines (fexofenadine, loratidine, cetirizine) give the most bang for the buck. Reasonably effective, quite safe, not too costly. For eyes ketotifen is best otc choice. Keep it cool in frig for comfort. Dust mite allergy - encase pillow, mattress & comforter. Remove carpeting. Molds - control indoor moisture. Pollen - close windows, do outdoor stuff in am. Exile pets & smokers.
Allergy shots. Allergy shots build a tolerance in the body to the allergens so that they no longer cause allergy symptoms in about 85% of patients, and the effect can last up to 20 years or longer. Shots must be taken for a total of 3-5 years or the effects may fade after only 1 or 2 years. Shots have a small risk of allergic reactions and therefore must be given and monitored by a physician.
Dust mite pillowcase. Over 95% of my allergy patients find benefit by using a dust mite (plastic or vinyl) pillow case. This is placed between your pillow and your cloth pillow case. Add additional cloth pillow cases if you find it uncomfortable with just one pillow case. This will help you avoid one of the most common allergens that humans are exposed to.
It depends. It depends on what is causing the allergies. It you are allergic to airborne pollens, like grass and trees, try to avoid spending a lot of time outdoors when the counts are high. If you are allergic to cats, avoid having one in your home. If the allergy is to foods, don't eat them. Antihistamines which you can buy over the counter help with itchy eyes and runny noses, as well as sneezing.
Over the counter. Try the over the counter medications first. Cetirizine and Loratadine are two of the most commonly used, and fexofenadine is the newest on the over the counter market. These do not tend to cause drowsiness. The best treatment is the avoidance of the allergen.
Nasal antihistamine . When allergy symptoms are caused by various plant pollens, the most commom treatments are antihistamine pills, antihistamine nasal spray and corticosteroid nasal spray. The antihistamine and corticosteroid sprays are by prescription only but tend to be more effective than the pills because the medicine is being put where the problem starts- right in the nose.
Depends. Over the counter you can use the antihistamines if that does not work you can get a prescription for nasal steroids or singular. Natural ways to try are using quercetin, probiotics and avoiding any food allergies.
Numerous Options. Since in broad terms an allergy is the body's response to something determined to be foreign or unwanted, treatment usually is divided into either 1) avoidance of allergen or 2) medications to limit the body's response (sneezing, cough, congestion, etc). Options to limit response include antihistamines, nasal corticosteroid sprays, nasal saline rinse, singulair, (montelukast) and allergy shots.
Eliminate them. My focus is always on treating the cause. I suggest two therapies to resolve allergies: lda (low dose antigen) and srt (sensitivity removal technique). Both have the ability to normalize the immune system to reverse allergies. They are effective for all allergens, including inhalants, chemicals and foods. In the meantime, OTC medications and herbal/homeopathic remedies can help control symptoms.
Allergy shots. For allergy symptoms that do not improve with oral or nasal treatments then desensitization with allergy shots will resolve the condition. Allergy shots contain dilute concentrations of the pollens causing the syptoms. They are given once or twice weekly for approximately 1 year.