How precise is psychiatry vs psychology?

Dr. Joseph Kwentus

In brief: Moderately

Precision depends on the practitioner and not the discipline.
As in many fields of medicine, many pracitices are understood with a degree of certainty, but many others are vaguely defined.

In brief: Moderately

Dr. Joseph Kwentus
Dr. Joseph Kwentus
Dr. Sam Von Reiche
ADHD & Autism

In brief: Psychiatry

The domains of the two are different; psychiatry is largely focused these days on psychopharmacology only--treatment of psychiatric illness through drugs.
Psychology addresses people's issues through insight, new perspective, and behavioral interventions, .

In brief: Psychiatry

Dr. Sam Von Reiche
Dr. Sam Von Reiche
Dr. Marc Zimmermann

In brief: Both

are medical arts based on science.
Psychology usually has more tools than psychiatry for the measurement of emotional factors or behaviors.

In brief: Both

are medical arts based on science.
Dr. Marc Zimmermann
Dr. Marc Zimmermann
Dr. John Wigneswaran
I largely agree with above but would also add that what is important is to find someone you connect with and has expertise in the problem you are trying to solve. Don't put off therapy- EVERYONE can benefit including clinicians.
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Psych

Both work hand in hand, md with phd to diagnose & treat mental illnesses.

In brief: Psych

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Aaron Ament

In brief: PRECISE?

How are you using 'precise'.
Not like tempreature or blood pressure or cell counts. Do you mean can you believe interpretations of your thinking? Do you mean can you find a specific cause, recover exact memories, know all about a person? Hard to know what it means. But psychiatry does work well when done well with an experienced therapist. Or with the right medications. Precise?

In brief: PRECISE?

How are you using 'precise'.
Dr. Aaron Ament
Dr. Aaron Ament

In brief: Great question...

...That could lead to a big debate.
Imo, there is not a simple answer. Both fields cover aspects of the mind/brain that run the gamut from quantifiable (where the term "precision" is inarguably meaningful and itself quantifiable) to art-of. The art of good psychotherapy can be extremely precise in the hands of some; bad science can be terribly vague in the hands of others.

In brief: Great question...

...That could lead to a big debate.
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: I'm not sure what

You are asking. Talk therapy or psychotherapy, depends on building a relationship with a patient and using that technique to help them. Psychiatry is a medical specialty in which we diagnose and treat brain disorders.
Both are and are not precise.

In brief: I'm not sure what

Both are and are not precise.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Both are art forms

My colleagues my vigorously disagree with me on this, but in my opinion, both are art forms, full of trial and error with the ethical application of appropriate scientific principles.
In psychiatry where meds are dispensed, finding the right med in the right dosage is often painstakingly slow, often reduced to trial and error. Finding the right psychologist to match with the right patient likewise

In brief: Both are art forms

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Arnon Rubin