Please describe the most effective way to quit smoking?

Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Any

It takes you body4 days to withdraw from nicotine.
The rest is the psychological part. You need to understand why you like to smoke and work on that part or stoping won't be permanent. There are many pharmacological agents, e cigarette and you can google for support and hot lines.

In brief: Any

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
I would respectfully disagree with the statement that it takes "four days" to detoxify from virtually anything. The issue is NOT how long it takes the drug to get out of the body, but rather how long it takes very dysregulated receptor systems to get anywhere near normal - not only the cholinergic system but the counterregulatory serontonergic and dopaminergic (and probably endorphinergic) system
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Combinations

The overall best results in smoking cessation come from the use of a medication combined with a formal smoking cessation program. All of this requires, first and foremost, the motivation to quit.
I start my patients with nicotine replacement therapy - patches plus lozenges usually - together with a formal program. Wellbutrin (bupropion) is another med, and ultimately the best results have been with chantix.

In brief: Combinations

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology