How do doctors treat a mallet finger?

Splinting versus sur. Mallet fingers can be treated with splinting for up to 3 months. Surgery is also an option.
Usually a splint. There are only a few indications to operate on a mallet finger. Most mallet injuries are of the closed type and there is no bone injury(fracture). These injuries are treated with a splint. The treatment usually requires at least six to eight weeks of continuous splinting and the results are equal to operative "repair". Surgery maybe indicated for fractures or open injuries.
Mallet finger. is a tear of the tendon that attaches to the finger tip on the top and end of ones finger, such that if it is torn the tip of the finger stays flexed down, the injury can also involve a fracture were the tendon pulls off a small piece of bone at its attachment. treatment usual is splint the tip full tie 8 weeks part time 4. wks. http://www.handctr.com/mallet-finger-baseball-finger-102.html.