Have hepatic abscess. Is amoxicillin used to treat?

Dr. Mary Maluccio
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Reasonable

We will often do one of several things when treating a liver abscess, one being to pull off some of the fluid and send it for culture.
This will identify the bacteria involved. Amoxicillin is a reasonable choice as long as there is evidence that the bacteria involved are sensitive to this antibiotic.

In brief: Reasonable

Dr. Mary Maluccio
Dr. Mary Maluccio
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Complicated

Small (one cm or less) abscesses can be treated medically.
Larger abscesses may require surgical drainage (interventional radiologists often do this). The choice of antibiotics is based on the organisms likely to be present, and my choice would be to treat this intravenously rather than orally, but there are doctors whose opinions differ.

In brief: Complicated

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery