How long does it take lithium to take effect for my depressive episode? I'm currently at lithobid (lithium carbonate) 800 mg daily

Dr. Leslie Howell

In brief: Depends

One must first be at a therapeutic level of lithium - this is determined by a lab test.
Time to take effect can vary from days to several weeks. Given your other conditions your depression may not be solved by just lithium. Alcohol is a depressant and does not mix well with medication. Therapy may also help with your personality disorder. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Leslie Howell
Dr. Leslie Howell
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Depends.

Lithium is usually given for mood swings of which depression is one of the moods.
Antidepressant is usually given with the lithium to treat the depression and the lithium acts as a stabilizer. You should also have a lithium level to see if you are in the therapeutic range of 0.5 to 1.2meq/l.

In brief: Depends.

Dr. Linda Callaghan
Dr. Linda Callaghan
Dr. Eric Weisman