Will the intervention stop alcoholism?

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology

In brief: It helps

An "intervention" is often the first step in treating alcoholism or addiction.
The most important aspect, however, is the persons own desire to do something about their "disease". An intervention typically involves a period of in-patient rehabilitation, followed by support groups(such as aa), sometimes therapy and there a host of medicines that may aid in helping one to stop drinking.

In brief: It helps

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Alcoholism

Agree with dr. Passer. I use the analogy "a teacher teaches students, but does not necessarily make them learn".

In brief: Alcoholism

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: No

An intervention is just the first step.
In my practice and over the years, I have successfully detoxed over 2000 patients. Detox for me is the easy part. The hard part is figuring out a way to help the person in the long run to stay away from alcohol. There are several medications available now as well as support groups and other modalities for this condition, which can be chronic and severe.

In brief: No

An intervention is just the first step.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer