If my mom had a STD while she was pregnant with me and got cervical cancer and the STD was passed on to me after my birth, could i then get it too?

Dr. Lauren Stegman
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Very remote chance.

Cervical cancer is caused by the hpv virus.
Hpv can rarely be passed from mother to her fetus or infant. One study found that only 3% of infants of infected mothers got the virus. Most infections with hpv also never turn into cancer. Therefore, the risk of this mother-to-daughter spread is thought to be very low and no special screening is needed. It would make sense to get vaccinated though.

In brief: Very remote chance.

Dr. Lauren Stegman
Dr. Lauren Stegman
Dr. Rhonda Simons

In brief: You can only

Get cervical cancer by having unprotected sex with a guy yourself.
The hpv virus that causes cervical cancer, can be transmitted as warts to an infants throat, but cannot be transmitted to your cervix when you are going through the birth canal. To avoid std's and cervical cancer always wear a condom, and to prevent pregnancy hormonal birth control can also help.

In brief: You can only

Dr. Rhonda Simons
Dr. Rhonda Simons
Dr. Jane Van Dis