Can alcoholism be inherited?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
Having one parent with alcoholism increases one's chances of having this problem. Your chances increase if both parents are alcoholic.
Being aware of this and avoiding drinking too much will help. It may be best to figure out a way to have a happy life without having to drink at all. There are lots of very happy people who do not drink. (like me). Good luck to you.

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Leonard Spishakoff
Addiction Medicine
It is a genetic and multifactorial disease.
It is also more common in certain groups such as in american indian, and less common in asian populations , particularly because of alleles inherited and cofering either increased or decreased activity of alcohol dehydrogenase.This means if you have incresed activity of the enzyme small amounts of alcohol would make you sick and become aversive.

Dr. Leonard Spishakoff
Dr. Leonard Spishakoff