How can I prevent my child from getting measles?

Dr. Marc Grella

In brief: Vaccinate!

Measles is very very preventable - the MMR vaccine (the only available product for measles prevention in the US) is safe and should be used universally.
There is absolutely no connection between giving MMR vaccine and conditions such as autism. There are many studies available to document this from very credible sources, especially the CDC.

In brief: Vaccinate!

Dr. Marc Grella
Dr. Marc Grella
Dr. Thad Woodard

In brief: Immunize

The most effective way to prevent measles is the safe and effective measles vaccine.

In brief: Immunize

Dr. Thad Woodard
Dr. Thad Woodard
Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: Vaccine

Short answer: get the vaccine.
Best way, and easiest, to avoid the measles. Obviously if you hear of exposure, make sure you're being careful and following recommendations, but being vaccinated is first and foremost the best and only sure fire way to avoid measles. The vaccine is proven safe, with low risk, and highly effective.

In brief: Vaccine

Short answer: get the vaccine.
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: Avoid measles cases

An 8-month old child (or any child 3-11 months old) is too young to get the measles vaccine, so must avoid contact with people who may have measles.
If an 8-month old must visit a place where there is measles in the community, the baby can get a gamma-globulin shot to get temporary protection from measles. Babies 0-3 months of age got antibodies through the placenta, but only if mom was immune.

In brief: Avoid measles cases

In brief: MMR is...

...Pretty much it.
When properly administered to compliant populations, it drops the odds of getting measles to less than one in a million. I would not decline MMR unless you can provide your child a spacesuit, or a desert island, 24/7 forever.

In brief: MMR is...

...Pretty much it.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Marsha Davis