How does addiction affect the addict's life?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine
In brief: You tell me
If you are the one with the addction or know someone close with the addiction what have you seen.
It can cripple life in every facet. Relationships, health, jobs, passion for life all suffer. Neglect of healthy needs for self and others. Loss of interest in other activities not related to the drug or alcohol. Not able to enjoy life without the substance. Seriously you tell me.

In brief: You tell me
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Highly variable
There are some people who can develop a significant addiction which they may be able to successfully hide, and they may be highly functional.
More commonly, ultimately the addiction takes over one's life and there is a downward spiral resulting in behavioral changes that cause family dysfunction, as well as physical deterioration. The need for money causes great risk taking, legal problems etc.

In brief: Highly variable
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Vicken Poochikian