How does addiction affect the addict's life?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Highly variable

There are some people who can develop a significant addiction which they may be able to successfully hide, and they may be highly functional.
More commonly, ultimately the addiction takes over one's life and there is a downward spiral resulting in behavioral changes that cause family dysfunction, as well as physical deterioration. The need for money causes great risk taking, legal problems etc.

In brief: Highly variable

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

In brief: You tell me

If you are the one with the addction or know someone close with the addiction what have you seen.
It can cripple life in every facet. Relationships, health, jobs, passion for life all suffer. Neglect of healthy needs for self and others. Loss of interest in other activities not related to the drug or alcohol. Not able to enjoy life without the substance. Seriously you tell me.

In brief: You tell me

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Chris Sadeh
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Predictable path

To borrow a line from the Big Book of AA: jails, institutions, and death.

Everyone's end point is the same, with any substance use addiction, and many process / behavioral addictions.

The goal is to help an addict find the path of recovery with the "softest" rock bottom achievable. Unfortunately, pain is the ultimate motivator of change. Many addicts can't change until the pain gets bad.

In brief: Predictable path

Dr. Chris Sadeh
Dr. Chris Sadeh
Dr. Vicken Poochikian