I'm allergic to crabs, shrimp etc but not to fish (salmon, tuna etc). Is it okay to take kelp supplements for my thyroid?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Save your $$

Hi. Kelp supplements will do NOTHING for your thyroid that good old (cheap) iodized salt won't do.
Save your money, and don't make the snake oil salesmen rich!

In brief: Save your $$

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Philip Kern
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Doesn't matter

In the US, there is lots of iodine in the diet.
Taking more iodine, in the form of kelp or anything else, will not help your thyroid. I suspect you will not get an allergic reaction, but why risk it? If your thyroid is underactive (based on blood tests--symptoms alone are unreliable) you need to take levothyroxine.

In brief: Doesn't matter

Dr. Philip Kern
Dr. Philip Kern
Dr. Jack Hinkle