Can a case of untreated ADHD cause major depression?

Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
In brief: YES
Research indicates that up to 25% of untreated adhd patients can develop depression.
The chronic stress associated with the symptoms of adhd can lead to depression.

In brief: YES
Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
Dr. J. Kirk Clopton
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: ADHD and Depression
Also, self image/ self esteem issues , substance use, some medications, and genetic predisposition can be factors in developing depression.

In brief: ADHD and Depression
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Glen Elliott
ADHD itself unlikely to cause depression, but the impairments it can produce may increase risk of low self esteem and, if the person if vulnerable to it, major depression.
Dr. Chris Esguerra
In brief: Not directly
People with adhd suffer from the negative effects on their work and relationships at times.
This can lead to low self-esteem and perhaps lead to major depression if the negative feedback persists and is severe enough. Sometimes we will see depression occurring with adhd. I've seen the combination more often than not in my practice.

In brief: Not directly
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
In brief: Possibly
If your symptoms are really disturbing you, you could become depressed about them. Do consult a psychiatrist.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Paul Williams
In brief: Adhd/ depression.
If the adhd is causing issues with your life serious enough - it could precipitate a depression.
I guess my concern is - are the symptoms that you think are adhd actually depression? Probably best to make an appointment with your family doctor.

In brief: Adhd/ depression.
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Cindy Juster