Is anemia common with hiatal hernia?

It happens. Large hiatal hernias known as paraesophageal hernias can cause ulcers due to the stomach twisting back and forth. These are known as cameron's erosions, and are not uncommonly the cause of anemia that has no other known cause. I see 1-2 patients per year with multiple tests over 1-2 years, only to finally have their hiatal hernia repaired and their anemia resolved.
No. The most common symptom associated with a hiatal hernia is heartburn secondary to gerd (gastroesophageal reflux disease). This may lead to inflammation of the esophagus but should not cause anemia. A paraesophageal hernia is a rare variant of a hiatal hernia that can cause chronic anemia due to trauma to the stomach. These problems are best evaluated by upper endoscopy.