I have had a cough for a few weeks and yesterday when I coughed it felt like I cracked a rib and now i'm in pain all the time. Did I crack a rib?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It is possible

With sever coughing you could crack a rib.
Please check it out. Good luck, thanks.

In brief: It is possible

Please check it out. Good luck, thanks.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
While a rib fracture can happen, it's more important to find out why you cough so hard to crack a rib.
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Maybe...

It is possible to fracture a rib due to coughing.
There is no specific therapy for a fractured rib and it will heal over time. However, you should see your doctor so the cough etiology can be diagnosed and treatment to resolve the cough can be given. If you are smoking, you need to quit as it will only add to your cough.

In brief: Maybe...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran

In brief: Don't think so

I do not think you can fracture your ribs from too much coughing but you have been coughing for past few weeks, it may be viral or reflux or asthma .
You need to see a doctor to get a blood test and a chest x-ray.To find out the cause of your coughing.

In brief: Don't think so

Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran