My 8 week old baby has an acid reflux. Is it safe to add rice cereal to his formula and will it help?

Depends. It may help to decrease the reflux, not necessarily the acid. A medicine such a Prevacid (lansoprazole) would help witht he acid production. I would discuss these with your pediatrician.
Yes, it may. Rice cereal is quite safe and often used to thicken the formula in hope that it will reduce the reflux..As it is easier to reflux liquid vs solid foods. Just try a little bit at a time..It may or may not help with reflux. You may want to keep baby head-up a bit after feeding and during sleep--some use a carseat etc..To keep baby head elevated. If symptoms persist, consult doc. Congrats + good luck.