Can hiatal hernia affect my child?

In brief: Uncommon

While reflux can occur in children, having a hiatal hernia is less common.
Most hiatal hernias develop over the course of a person's life.

In brief: Uncommon

Dr. Rodney Biggs
Dr. Rodney Biggs

In brief: Who is the patient?

If you have a hiatal hernia, you will likely have more heart burn during your pregnancy but it won't hurt your child.
Hiatal hernia is mostly a problem affecting grown ups. Congenital hernia is not common and most kids can "out grow" their reflux problems. However, if your child has a hiatal hernia in association to frequent reflux, see a pediatric GI doc or surgeon to discuss treatment options.

In brief: Who is the patient?

Dr. George T Tsai
Dr. George T Tsai

In brief: Maybe

I'm assuming your child has the hernia?Most are asymptomatic.
The most common symptoms are reflux. The larger the hernia the greater the risk. In infants and young child the symptoms can be severe enough to require surgery especially if failing to thrive or pnemonia. If no symptoms and the hernia was found incidently, can follow. If you have the hernia, it wouldn't affect the child.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Yours cannot

Not sure exactly what your question is, but if you have a hiatal hernia and are pregnant, it will not affect your child.

In brief: Yours cannot

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle