Could a lower back ache be a symptom of the flu?How high can the fever go. Mine is now 101.5 with tylenol (acetaminophen)

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: It is possible
Even though back pain is a frequent flu symptom, sometimes the existence of back pain during an influenza infection is purely coincidental.
This is especially true if the flu sufferer already has a history of chronic back pain; the pain could simply be resurfacing at the same time flu symptoms are appearing .Or could possibly be aggravated by the aches and pains caused by the flu virus.

In brief: It is possible
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Back ache&fever flu
I presume you have seen your doctor or was in er, and diagnosed with flu.
It can cause fever up to 103, but it varies.You get aches and pain all over body you may have pain in lower bach.Drink lots of flhids, take tylenol (acetaminophen) for fever and pain, and if your doctor prescribe antibiotic tamiflu, finish the course, and if you dont get better in 5to7 days follow up with you md, as sometimes there are complications.

In brief: Back ache&fever flu
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Natalie Hodge
In brief: Not in isolation
It could be a symptom of flu with a constellation of overall muscle aches, but not in isolation.
If you have ONLY fever and back pain, my first thought is a kidney infection presents this way. If you have never had a uti, but have chronic low back pain, then of course, this makes uti less likely. Infected kidneys are exquisitely tender with a heavy " tap' with your fist. See your physician!

In brief: Not in isolation
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
Muscle aches are part of flu 244 muscles in the low back ive seen 103 that is a damgerous level that merits medical attention tylenol (acetaminophen) ice bath should bring it down.

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Fever and back pain
Need more information.
You could have influenza, but the only symptom you mention is low back pain. This disturbs me since this could be other very severe infections and deserves an exam by a doctor. If, however, you have gastrointestinal and upper respiratory symptoms along with this it may well be a viral infection like the flu.

In brief: Fever and back pain
Need more information.
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff