Why are my thumbnails ridged?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Ridged nails

Vertical nail ridges are fairly common and nothing to worry about.
Vertical nail ridges extend from the cuticle to the tip of the nail. Vertical nail ridges often become more numerous or prominent with age, possibly due to variations in cell turnover within the nail.

In brief: Ridged nails

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Addagada Rao
Yes I am getting old , but I look for horizontal ridges which means trouble Thanks.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: ?psoriasis?

Ridge or pitted finger nails, meet the lindon citeria for psoriasis, even if visable skin disease is not present .
However trauma to the nail matrix can cause similar findings. If five more nails have this, you could have psoriasis! it is true that horizontal ridges are more indicative of psoriasis.

In brief: ?psoriasis?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
They may indicate mild psoriasis. Pay heed if you have recurrent pain in your joints.