I take my pressure 4 times in a sitting waiting 2 minutes between tests. The first reading is always higher than the other three. What is the reason?

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: No reason

Excessive BP measurement is counter productive.
BP diary over the course of 2 weeks is better (we need 6-7 readings in that period of time on different days) do check in am. Show diary to doctor. However, talk to your md first, he or she may suggest something different, it depends on your health profile or if you are having symptoms or not.

In brief: No reason

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Edward Hoffer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Anxiety

It is very common for the first blood pressure reading to be higher than subsequent ones, and probably reflects the inherent anxiety seen in many medical situations.
If the next three are all lower, you can ignore the first.

In brief: Anxiety

Dr. Edward Hoffer
Dr. Edward Hoffer
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology