Do ACL tears always show up on an mri? What does fibrillation mean on an mri? I was told I have that on the acl.

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

The tear will show on the mri, fibrillation means minor roughness of the surface of the acl.
Thanks.

Thanks.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: ACL

Acl tears will typically show up on an mri.
The MRI takes pictures of the knee at different angles, and sometimes it may look like there is an acl tear when the acl may be ok, and vice versa. Having your knee examined by a knee specialist will determine if your acl is indeed torn. Fibrillation refers to softening or wear of the cartilage covering the bones in the knee.

In brief: ACL

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine