Are doctors in the us allowed to formally diagnose someone with myalgic encephalomyelitis, or do they have to use the diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome?

Yes. While most mds use the diagnosis "chronic fatigue syndrome, " there are many authorities who feel that myalgic enchephlomyelitis is a more accurate term for many of those with chronic fatigue. Doctors are totally allowed to use that diagnosis for those who qualify- the icd-9 code is 323.9. See http://www. Name-us. Org/defintionspages/definitionsarticles/2011%20consensus%20criteria. Pdf.
Diagnostic criteria. The term cfs is more commonin the us. As far as I know there may be no icd9 code for myalgic encephalitis but most physicans use the term cfs and no me. There are many aspects of cfs and all are not known. The term me was developed ex-us. Concerns are encephalitis is an inflmmatory condition of the CNS and no inflammation has been found in the brain. More research may clarify these issues.