I'm going to be 52 next month. I had a partial hysterectomy in 2005 and was wondering if I would be having a normal menopause; I do have my ovaries.?

Dr. James Mirabile
Gynecology

In brief: Menopause

You will have a normal menopause, without the common irregular cycles that may accompany the end of your peri-menopausal years.
The ovaries stop function with production of hormones at an average age of 51. If you are symptomatic with hot flashes, night sweats, decreased libido, etc. Then you should contact your physician to see if you are a candidate for hormone therapy.

In brief: Menopause

Dr. James Mirabile
Dr. James Mirabile
Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

Average age for menopause is 51yo but varies from mid-late 40s to mid-50s.
If you still have your ovaries, then you should undergo normal menopause, although the transition may be relatively asymptomatic for you. If your ovaries were removed at the time of your hysterectomy, then most likely you would have been given some form of estrogen to take for the last several years.

Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Adam Smith