My 5 year old son has a barking cough and is vomitting. Is this just a virus or should I take him to the peds tomorrow? No fever.

Dr. Bac Nguyen
In brief: Maybe croup
The characteristic cough of croup is barking of a dog or seal.
It is often caused by parainfluenza viruses..Coughing can be quite bothersome and many children have post-tussive emesis (vomiiting from coughing). Try some cough syrup..Such as robitussin (guaifenesin). If not adequate, he may need to see doc for eval and treatment such as albuterol/steroid/ and stronger cough meds etc...Good luck.

In brief: Maybe croup
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Zoey Goore
Cough medicines have not been shown to be effective in children. The only "medicine" shown to help is honey. If you are concerned you should call your doctor.
Dr. Beth Summers
In brief: Depends
It's sounds like your son has a virus that causes croup.
However, this is hard to say without more information. I recommend that he be evaluated by his physician immediately to see if he has just a virus that only needs supportive care or if he has something more that needs further attention.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Beth Summers
Dr. Beth Summers
Dr. Oscar Novick
In brief: Barking cough
In a 5 year old who is coughing and is also vomiting , one always has to worry about the ingestion of a foreign body.
If symptoms persist see your doctor or go to the er for possible x rays.

In brief: Barking cough
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Zoey Goore
In brief: Barking cough
Barky cough is usually a sign of a virus that most people refer to as croup.
Sometimes if kids are coughing a lot they will vomit after coughing. Cool mist can help a barky cough if it is just croup. Sometimes asthma can give kids a cough, even a barky cough. If your child is coughing persistently or is working harder to breath you should bring him to his doctor.

In brief: Barking cough
Dr. Zoey Goore
Dr. Zoey Goore
Dr. Steven Seres