My 13 month old son had a fever for 3 days and now 2 days after the fever broke has a rash all over. Is this just a reaction to the fever?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
In brief: Likely roseola
Roseola is a common viral illness of childhood.
.Often causes high fever with not much else, usually for 3-5 days, then the rash appears and fever disappears. The rash is typically pinkish tiny dots underneath the skin, usually not bothersome to the child. If it is not bothering him, let it be. It will go away in dew days. If having severe symptoms, consult doc...Good luck.

In brief: Likely roseola
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Bac Nguyen
You are welcome..Dr. mentioned below of possibilty of strep, but this is highly unlikely in a 13 month old. Also, the rash is usually on the and has a SAND-PAPER feel to it. Also, rash from strep usually occur during fever, not after
Dr. Bac Nguyen
oops..."rash is usually on the trunk" and has a SAND-PAPER feel
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Roseola infantum
A rash that appears as fever is resolving is the classic presentation of roseola infantum, aka exanthem subitum, or (back in the day) sixth disease.
Typically the rash consists of pale pink, almond-shaped spots on the trunk and neck which then fade in a few hours to 2 days. If the rash persists it could be something else, and you should see your doctor or a dermatologist.

In brief: Roseola infantum
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Tara Passow
Dermatology
In brief: Viral?
I would expect the rash is more caused by the virus or bacteria that caused the fever.
My worry is that it could represent the rash that can come with strep and might need to be treated with an oral antibiotic. Strep throat can be present even without the sore throat.

In brief: Viral?
Dr. Tara Passow
Dr. Tara Passow
Dr. Martin Raff
May well be Roseola infantum or Sixth Disease, in which the eruption usually coincides with the drop in fever. These are rose-colored maculopapular lesions predominantly on the trunk and neck. If you are worried, have the baby seen by family doc. Hope better soon.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey