It has been three days since i've had a child. Should I still have water retention in my feet? What should I do?

Dr. C Jeffrey Holmes

In brief: It depends

If you had severe swelling before delivery, it may take time; this also depends on your weight.
If you are a healthy weight, lying down for 30-60 min 3x/day with your feet elevated can lead to rapid resolution. You should also walk fairly vigorously 3x/day. Have your blood pressure checked to make sure it is normal and not worsening. The edema could be a sign of bp/pre-ecclampsia.

In brief: It depends

Dr. C Jeffrey Holmes
Dr. C Jeffrey Holmes
David Miller

In brief: Give it time

You have spent the last 9 months retaining water in your legs and feet.
I won't go away in just three days. Give it some time and mention it to your doc at your first post-partum checkup.

In brief: Give it time

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Cindy Juster