What is the most effective way to make a breech baby turn on it's own?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Patience

About 95% of babies will be in a vertex (head down) presentation at the time of labor.
At 32 to 34 weeks about one third are breech, most will turn before labor. After 35 weeks the chance that the baby will turn is decreasing - the only thing that has been shown to increase the likelihood of a breech baby turning is for the woman to assume a knee chest position for fifteen each day.

In brief: Patience

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Bac Nguyen
I believe some docs still do external cephalic version attempt (manual attempt to rotate the baby after 37 weeks?)..
Dr. C Jeffrey Holmes

In brief: Few options

Very few methods have withstood studies to verify their effectiveness.
Acupuncture has had limited studies suggesting success. Lying head downhill (on a plank or plywood stretching to a bed or couch with feet up on a couch) for 30 min twice a day. External podalic version performed by your physician is probably the best method if the above does not work.

In brief: Few options

Dr. C Jeffrey Holmes
Dr. C Jeffrey Holmes
Dr. David Bergman
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Breech

I advise patients to lay on a ironing board which is on a 45 degree angle (large books under one end) for approximately 45 minutes 2 x/day.
Place a music player between your legs as an auditory stimulus to get the baby to move. There are other positions such as on all 4 extremities that have been shown to work. Nothing is tried and true.

In brief: Breech

Dr. David Bergman
Dr. David Bergman