I am suffering from sever pain due to my left (leg)achilles tendon. Doctor suggested to go for operation (shaving off the bludg) please reply.

Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Abnormal "bump"

A haglunds deformity is a bony enlargement on the back of the heel which may lead to a painful bursitis, which is an inflammation of the bursa (a fluid-filled sac between the tendon and bone).
The soft tissue near the achilles tendon becomes irritated when the bony enlargement rubs against the back of the shoes. Have it evaluated as there are conservative and surgical options.

In brief: Abnormal "bump"

Dr. Daniel Keane
Posterior heel pain can be caused by Haglund's deformity. Conservative care consists of heel lifts, backless shoes, sometimes a below the knee cast can be helpful. The surgery, although usually very successful, requires a 8-12 week recovery in a non-weight bearing cast and can be quite uncomfortable, but may be worth if all non-surgical therapies have failed.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine