Is medical marijuana a good option to help relieve side effects of lung cancer drug treatment such as nausea, appetite loss, and weakness?

Pathology

In brief: I say 'yes'

If they can obtain it legally, i would urge them to try it.
For as long as I have been in medicine, I have been told about how effective many people have found this. For almost as long, the mainstream medical press -- not a hotbed of social radicals or fuzzy thinkers -- have felt that our cannabis policies are at best ill-informed. I am glad you are there for your friend with cancer. Obey the law.

In brief: I say 'yes'

2 comments
At the same time, I would warn you against recreational use. It remains illegal in most jurisdictions. There is little solid science, but anecdotally it does seem to make people somewhat dimmer and less productive. It's not my purpose to debate policy or make a comparison with alcohol. At a time when the cannabis community wants to show itself to be responsible, please act wisely.
Dr. Robert Killian
As a leading advocate of Medical Marijuana this is the very reason I took a public stance. Cancer patients in my hospice taught me the benefits of this medicine for this very situation. MJ can relieve this nausea and increase appetite during and after chemotherapy.
Dr. Vicken Poochikian