I was told my unborn baby has a 1:120 chance of trisomy 21. I am doing more testing, but how concerned should I be that my baby has down syndrome?

In brief: Glass half empty ?

You can also look at this as a 98+% chance you don't.
Any pregnancy has about 4% chance olf some unexpected outcome, including prematurity, birth defect, sick baby, etc. If your like most moms you worry about stuff like this happening anyway, it was just brought into focus by the comment. Hang in there and try to enjoy the idea you wile likely have no problems.

In brief: Glass half empty ?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

In brief: Hard to not worry

This is a very anxiety provoking test in many cases.
Remember this - it is only a screen. This means that there are a large number of false-positives. This is designed this way so that we don't miss the babies that are actually affect with down's. The additonal testing will help greatly in terms of what is going on. The odds are still very much in favor of an unaffected fetus.

In brief: Hard to not worry

Dr. Timothy Raichle
Dr. Timothy Raichle
Dr. Adam Levy