How long do gunky eyes/clogged tear ducts last on an infant? Mine is 7 weeks.

Dr. Patrick Hieber

In brief: Blocked tear duct

Blocked tear ducts can persis for many months.
I normally recommend controlling the mild secondary infection with intermittant antibiotic eye drops until 4-6 months of age. I refer the small # who persist beyond that time to a pediatric ophthalmologist for probing of the ducts.

In brief: Blocked tear duct

Dr. Patrick Hieber
Dr. Patrick Hieber
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Variable

There is a drainage tubing from the eyelids into the nose (you have to blow your nose after crying as a demonstration of this).
About 1-2% of infants have incomplete opening of the lower portion of this system. Over 75% of these will open by 6 months of life but the others may require a probe to open it. Start with your pediatrician to help with this but an ophthalmologist may be consulted.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Shontae Buffington