8yo was given augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) antibiotics yesterday for chest infection. At night she still had fever, when will antibiotic start working?

Fever can last . Up to 3-4 days in children with pneumonia on antibiotic therapy. Fever is not the only symptom to follow - hard time breathing is the most worrisome sign. If concerned about persistent or worsening symptoms talk to child's pediatrician.
48-72 hours. It takes 2 to 3 days for an antibiotic to show significant impact. Until then (...And for as long as they persist...) you should treat symptoms as advised by dr. Hydration and rest are important as well. If worsens during that time, should contact dr., as may need recheck.