Is blood pressure higher in the am or pm?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Complex

Highest levels of blood pressure occur after 10 am with a peak around noon but often with a plateau extending to 6 pm. Leading up to this, there is a rise in pressure from the time of waking or before (about 6 am), with the pressure rising by up to 20/15 mmhg in most people.
There is a decline in pressure of 10-20% in the late evening and on going to sleep. See my comment.

In brief: Complex

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
To read more about this, please see my source of information at: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/490535_2
Dr. Arthur Sands

In brief: End of day

Blood pressure tends to be higher after stress exposure - if you spent a day exercising and relaxing, your BP may be lower - of if taken at the end of a stressful day it will probably be higher. Ideal BP is 115/70-75.
Get yourself a home BP cuff if you have a problem - i would recommend the traditional type as electronic devices are not very accurate.If you have high BP in am, you should see md.

In brief: End of day

Dr. Arthur Sands
Dr. Arthur Sands
Dr. Bennett Werner
I didn't see Dr. Sands' answer before I answered, but I agree completely with him as well.
Dr. Umesh Patel