I don't play any sports im having a pain that starts by my ankle bone up the side of my leg into my knee, I have difficulty walking what could it be?

Muscle strain. This may have to due with an alignment issue. The pain could very well be due to muscle strain due to an alignment issue such as bowing/torsion on the tibia or knee bone. Some sort of brace or inserts are used to treat such conditions.
Many possibilities. Your pain could be as a result of many different things. A thorough history and physical exam and possibly some laboratory and radiology exams are needed to determine the exact cause. Causes of pain may include: trauma (fracture, sprain, arthritis), infection, metabolic conditions (gout), musculoskeletal or biomechanical abnormality and neurologic conditions (neuropathy).
Nerve/tendon. It sounds like a nerve or tendon problem. Shooting pains more from a nerve. It definitely needs further evaluation from a podiatrist.