Missed period but negative in pregnancy test?

Anovulation. If you missed a period and your pregnancy test came back negative, then you most likely had an anovulatory cycle, meaning your ovaries didn't release an egg. This happens from time to time but if consistent, see your doctor because you may have a hormonal imbalance. Consider a birth control consultation to regulate your periods and avoid unplanned pregnancy.
Ovulation. If you period is delayed, and you are not pregnant, then you either had a delay in when you ovulated or you did not ovulate. If you do not get your period within a couple more weeks, then recheck the test and call your doctor.