What is the purpose of circumcising baby boys in the u.S.?

In brief: Personal preference

A few cite easier hygiene, decreased std's over a lifetime, elimination of foreskin cancer, etc.
The main factor seems to be personal preference. Daddy wants his boy to look the same. I see occasional uti's primarily in uncircumcised boys, but that is uncommon. Rates vary throughout the world. While in the military it was the most requested elective surgery among shipboard sailors.

In brief: Personal preference

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Many reasons

1) to look like dad, if he is circumcised, 2) to reduce minimal risk of urinary infections.
3) avoid future phimosis (inability to retract foreskin). 4) to remove minim al risk of penile cancer. 5) reduce risk of future stds. 6) cosmetic. 7) religious. 8) reports of reduced risk of future hiv/aids in circumcised men in africa. 9) perceived improved hygiene. 10) adult family member needed circ.

In brief: Many reasons

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber