What is the likelihood that I will have a child with autism if no one in the family has autism?

Dr. Arthur Hoffman
In brief: Good question
I do wish i could be definite; however there is much not understood about the ''chances''.
A persistent difficulty is the widening range of autistic syndromes. We are far from genetic test. And factors, sorry. However, it does seem to matter if autism was on one or both sides of lineage. The most recent row is role of exposure to various chemicals in 1st 1/3. This debate is more in europe.

In brief: Good question
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Still pretty small
The most recent report from the centers for disease prevention (cdc) are disheartening, stating that autism occurs in 1 in 88 live births--and 1 in 57 male births.
Still, that is a very broad definition of autism, and a lack of family history probably reduces your specific risk.. Kee[ in mind that, miraculously, the vast majority of babies are born with no problems.

In brief: Still pretty small
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Shontae Buffington