What do doctors do when a child is diagnosed with chronic kidney disease?

Begin education. The DX of any life altering illness requires a broad range of training to understand the dx, ways it will or won't affect daily activities & diet, expected changes in long term plans. The process is an ongoing one & often relies on a team of physicians, medical social workers, nurses and dietitians. Education for the child is targeted to their level of understanding.
CKD. It really depends on the type and cause of chronic kidney disease. Often with children its due to physical issues (one kidney, posterior urethral valves, etc...) but it can also be due to acute glomerulonephritis (henoch-schonlein purpura, minimal change disease, etc)... So the treatment will be based on the etiology.