I take 1mg of Xanax (alprazolam) and 100mg of trazodone at bedtime to help me sleep. Can i safely drive a car the next day?

Dr. Ravi Srivastava
Addiction Medicine

In brief: It depends

Both medications can cause some grogginess the next morning.
Together that make grogginess worse. In some people it may be disabling and dangerous. In others it may cause no grogginess at all. Use your judgment and take it under close supervision of a md. The dosage may need to be adjusted to optimum level.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Ravi Srivastava
Dr. Ravi Srivastava
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Depends

On how alert you feel the next day.
Trazadone notoriously can produce hangover sensations, and might make it unsuitable to drive. Being on both Alprazolam and trazadone sounds like overkill to me, and long-term use of benzodiazepines for sleep is not necessarily the best thing. There are other psychological treatments for insomnia/anxiety that are ultimately healthier and give more normal sleep.

In brief: Depends

On how alert you feel the next day.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Eric Weisman