8 doctors weighed in:

What about the effects of toxic black mold spores, in a home, on a baby?

8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Martin Ostro
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
7 doctors agree

In brief: Black mold not toxic

Extensive scientific studies of black mold show that mold, black or other colors, is not toxic to humans.
If you have a mold allegy, then the spores may cause allergic eye, nasal and chest symptoms. The moldy smell can also be irritating to the respiratory tract. Mold growth indicates excessive moisture at the site of growth. The mold should be properly removed and the water leak repaired.

In brief: Black mold not toxic

Extensive scientific studies of black mold show that mold, black or other colors, is not toxic to humans.
If you have a mold allegy, then the spores may cause allergic eye, nasal and chest symptoms. The moldy smell can also be irritating to the respiratory tract. Mold growth indicates excessive moisture at the site of growth. The mold should be properly removed and the water leak repaired.
Dr. Martin Ostro
Dr. Martin Ostro
Thank
1 comment
Dr. Stevan Cordas
There are different types of black mold. Stachybotrys atra can cause fatigue, mental sluggishness and irritative symptoms. For a better understanding of black mold go to www.drcordas.com and go to the patient education page under mold. I was an advisor in this area to the State.
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Board Certified, Pediatrics
13 years in practice
1M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors