Swollen, red, itchy eye in a child. Infection or allergies?

Conjunctivitis. Red itchy eyes, sometimes with swelling describes conjunctivitis. There are different causes, from allergic, viral, chemical and bacterial. If it is not resolved in a couple of days, and if there is swelling and green yellow discharge from the eye, have your child evaluated by your doc.
Red eyes. There are scores of causes for a red itchy eye, two of which you have mentioned. Your pediatrician will need to ask you a few questions in order to determine the correct treatment. If warm compresses do not offer relief, please make an appointment.