My husband and I want to have a baby within a year, but I only have 5 periods a year. What should we do?

Dr. Danielle Salhany
In brief: See your OB
Not having a regular period typically means that you do not ovulate every month.
This can make conception difficult. Depending on the cause (?Pcos, ) your ob/gyn will run some blood tests and order an ultrasound to try to properly diagnose you and might advise a medication like Clomid (clomiphene) to induce ovulation.

In brief: See your OB
Dr. Danielle Salhany
Dr. Danielle Salhany
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Ovulation problem
With such reported frequency of menses, you have irregular and paucity in having normal periods (oligomenorrhea).
This is likely due to lack of ovulation, the quintessential step towards becoming pregnant. A fertility or endocrine specialist will help you in determine causes (high prolactin, pcos, etc). If your bmi is high, this could also be a contributing factor. Good luck.

In brief: Ovulation problem
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine
In brief: See REI for testing
Not ovulating (releasing an egg) regularly decreases fertility.
We find the cause of your irregular cycles: polycystic ovarian sydrome (pcos), underactive thyroid, excess prolactin hormone, aging of the ovary (diminished ovarian reserve), or low hormone levels (hypogonadism) from exercise, eating disorders, stress. See a reproductive endocrinologist for tests / treatment to help you conceive.

In brief: See REI for testing
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Shontae Buffington