My child is two years old and an inguinal hernia. What's the next step?

In brief: Surgery
Next step is unlike adults where some times could be observed, in children due fear of incarceration elective surgical repair is advised as soon as possible, which is simple surgical procedure, just isolating and tieing the sac at the neck with no reinforcement of floor (as in adults ).
.

In brief: Surgery
.
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Faisal Qureshi
Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Surgical repair
Inguinal hernias in children should be repaired very soon after identification to reduce the chance of incarceration.
Incarceration is the bowel getting stuck in the hernia. I recommend seeing a pediatric surgeon.

In brief: Surgical repair
Dr. Faisal Qureshi
Dr. Faisal Qureshi
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Surgery
In brief: Depends
It depends on the size of the hernia and if symptomatic.
We like to wait as long as possible since he is still growing. Best thing is to see a surgeon and let him decide the trimming of the repair.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery