Along with ankylosing spondylitis, I have nerve pain in my leg and opposite hip. My dr gave me neurontin (gabapentin). Does it just numb the nerves.

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: No

Neurontin (gabapentin) effects how nerve endings respond to painful stimuli.
It is not a pain pill.

In brief: No

It is not a pain pill.
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Walter Husar
Neurology

In brief: Neurontin (gabapentin) or

Gabapentin act in a manner as to raise the neuropathic pain threshold so that the pain is not appreciated by the brain.
It does not affect the nerves.

In brief: Neurontin (gabapentin) or

It does not affect the nerves.
Dr. Walter Husar
Dr. Walter Husar

In brief: Neurontin (gabapentin) for pain

If you are saying "numb the nerves" as Lidocaine deadens the teeth for the dentist then, no.
Neurontin (gabapentin) is not an anesthetic agent. It is used extensively as a pain medication in settings of neuropathy or radiculopathy as you may have but the exact way it controls pain is unknown. It may work at the level of the brain, spinal cord, or both in order to do what it does.

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi