Is there a good, long-lasting cough syrup that I can give my 9 year old child?

Dr. Anthony Rooklin
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Codeine

I think the best cough syrup for a nine year old whose cough is a post nasal drip and interfering with sleep, both the nine year olds and his parents, is something like Robitussin with Codeine which is available as a generic and though it does not taste very good is usually very effective.
I would start with a teaspoon of honey first for milder cases before the codeine.

In brief: Codeine

Dr. Anthony Rooklin
Dr. Anthony Rooklin
Dr. Mark Patterson

In brief: A few

There are some honey-based cough meds that taste good and are approved for children over age 1.
For a 9 year old, delsym (dextromethorphan) works well, comes in 2 flavors, and works well, lasting up to 12 hours. Remember, though, cough is the body's way to keep the airway open and keep things out of the lungs. Suppression is not always the best idea. Check with the doctor if persists or associated with fever.

In brief: A few

Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology